From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd/dracut: Correctly boot using flash drive with LUKS key?
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2018 05:28:45
1 On 16/11/2018 14:43, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 12:15 PM Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> I am not sure if there is a way to move the systemd-cryptsetup@××××.service up the dependency tree once it's working, which would then remove the mnt-chuan.mount dependency.
7 > Ok, I did a bit more reading. You're using the cryptsetup generator
8 > most likely. It sets up units to be oneshot+remainafterexit, which
9 > means they're "active" whenever the LUKS device is mounted (without
10 > any processes - but they show as active so that you can stop them and
11 > unmount the device). It sets the RequiresMountsFor parameter for the
12 > device the key file is contained on, which makes that mount service a
13 > Required dependency. That means that it can't be unmounted while the
14 > cryptsetup device is in use, and in theory attempting to unmount the
15 > key file should make systemd attempt to unmount the cryptsetup device
16 > (though busy filesystems could interfere with that).
17
18 So it is a bit strange that /mnt/chuan was considered a dependency just
19 because of mention in /etc/crypttab. However I found out that the reason
20 has something to do with the /mnt/chuan entry in /etc/fstab in my real
21 root, and this is not a necessary line (it is the only entry in the
22 initrd fstab). I removed the line and now the dependency is still show
23 with list-dependencies, but it is white instead of red. My system is
24 still shown as running rather than degraded.
25
26 Removing the line from /etc/fstab only partially solves the problem, as
27 it's not explained what happens with the USB drive once the root is
28 switched because after that it's not shown to be mounted. I am pretty
29 sure it's not safely unmounted before the switch, which leaves it in a
30 strange state requiring fsck. Don't know the best way around this other
31 than wait till systemd supports the keyscript option in /etc/crypttab.
34 Andrew