From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] systemd/dracut: Correctly boot using flash drive with LUKS key?
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 19:43:24
1 On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 12:15 PM Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > I am not sure if there is a way to move the systemd-cryptsetup@××××.service up the dependency tree once it's working, which would then remove the mnt-chuan.mount dependency.
6 Ok, I did a bit more reading. You're using the cryptsetup generator
7 most likely. It sets up units to be oneshot+remainafterexit, which
8 means they're "active" whenever the LUKS device is mounted (without
9 any processes - but they show as active so that you can stop them and
10 unmount the device). It sets the RequiresMountsFor parameter for the
11 device the key file is contained on, which makes that mount service a
12 Required dependency. That means that it can't be unmounted while the
13 cryptsetup device is in use, and in theory attempting to unmount the
14 key file should make systemd attempt to unmount the cryptsetup device
15 (though busy filesystems could interfere with that).
16
17 I'm not sure if there is a cleaner solution for this without adding
18 some kind of new dependency type to systemd. You really do want that
19 mountpoint to be considered "Required" when the service starts as that
20 file is essential, but you don't need it to stick around after the
21 unit starts. Of course, you don't want it to automatically stop right
22 away either (that would create a race condition between unmounting the
23 key and reading it).
24
25 This is built-in systemd behavior. I wouldn't be surprised if the
26 folks on the #systemd IRC channel would be interested in talking about
27 this use case and ways to improve it. The fact that they anticipate
28 the key being on a removable mount makes me think it is something they
29 want to support, but it would clearly be more secure to not leave that
30 file mounted all the time.
31
32 I'd encourage you to ask about it on IRC. If that isn't something you
33 want to do I might inquire about it myself, but I don't want to steal
34 your thunder.
37 Rich