From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel parameters for VirtualBox
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 15:41:12
1 On Thursday, February 18, 2016 03:24:10 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Thursday 18 February 2016 15:11:44 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > On Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:05:14 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 > --->8
5 >
6 > > > Now that I think about it, I did update the AMI BIOS several weeks ago.
7 > > > It went from 1102 to 2101 - a bit of a step. Maybe that's what's broken
8 > > > my system - well, this bit of it, anyway.
9 > >
10 > > Could very well be the case.
11 >
12 > In which case I'm stuck, because the BIOS's ez-flash utility won't let me go
13 > backwards in versions. Meanwhile I've flashed the latest one again just to
14 > see if it would make any difference (it hasn't), this time remembering to
15 > reset to defaults first.
16 >
17 > There is a BIOS option called "Addon ROM display mode" which seems to ask
18 > whether an expansion card's ROM should override the installed default,
19 > though it's hard to tell with the "pidgin" English. I'll try flipping that
20 > and see what happens. Later: nothing, as far as I can see.
21
22 You could try (depending on age and how helpful supplier is) a different method
23 to downgrade the BIOS.
24 Some mainboards have the option to downgrade by adding a different flash-rom
25 with an older version and/or you could have it flashed differently.
26
27 > > Also, not sure if the following might help:
28 > > # zgrep -i iomm /proc/config.gz
29 > > CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
30 > > # CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
31 > > CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
32 > > CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
33 > > CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT=y
34 > > # Generic IOMMU Pagetable Support
35 > > CONFIG_IOMMU_IOVA=y
36 > > # CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU is not set
37 > > CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU=y
38 > > CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON=y
39 > > CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_FLOPPY_WA=y
40 > > # CONFIG_IOMMU_DEBUG is not set
41 > > # CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set
42 >
43 > Mine's the same.
44 >
45 > > # zgrep -i dmar /proc/config.gz
46 > > CONFIG_DMAR_TABLE=y
47 >
48 > Ditto.
49 >
50 > My options now seem to be to replace the motherboard, replace the display
51 > card, both of which are now just over six years old - or drop BOINC projects
52 > that use VirtualBox.
53 >
54 > Thanks for the help, Joost. If anyone else has any ideas I'd be grateful to
55 > hear them too.
56
57 Current thoughts:
58
59 I/O APIC in the VM settings. Try toggling it (same as other options)
60
61 Especially if they are different between VMs that work and don't work.
64 My kernel version:
65 # uname -a
66 Linux andromeda 4.1.12-gentoo #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Nov 25 20:47:48 CET 2015
67 x86_64 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
68
69 Haven't upgraded this system yet to a new kernel. That is planned for next
70 week. I run Gentoo-stable on this laptop.
73 Joost