From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel parameters for VirtualBox
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 15:24:19
1 On Thursday 18 February 2016 15:11:44 J. Roeleveld wrote:
2 > On Thursday, February 18, 2016 12:05:14 PM Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 --->8
4 > > Now that I think about it, I did update the AMI BIOS several weeks ago.
5 > > It went from 1102 to 2101 - a bit of a step. Maybe that's what's broken
6 > > my system - well, this bit of it, anyway.
7 >
8 > Could very well be the case.
9
10 In which case I'm stuck, because the BIOS's ez-flash utility won't let me go
11 backwards in versions. Meanwhile I've flashed the latest one again just to
12 see if it would make any difference (it hasn't), this time remembering to
13 reset to defaults first.
14
15 There is a BIOS option called "Addon ROM display mode" which seems to ask
16 whether an expansion card's ROM should override the installed default,
17 though it's hard to tell with the "pidgin" English. I'll try flipping that
18 and see what happens. Later: nothing, as far as I can see.
19
20 > Also, not sure if the following might help:
21 > # zgrep -i iomm /proc/config.gz
22 > CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
23 > # CONFIG_CALGARY_IOMMU is not set
24 > CONFIG_IOMMU_HELPER=y
25 > CONFIG_IOMMU_API=y
26 > CONFIG_IOMMU_SUPPORT=y
27 > # Generic IOMMU Pagetable Support
28 > CONFIG_IOMMU_IOVA=y
29 > # CONFIG_AMD_IOMMU is not set
30 > CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU=y
31 > CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_DEFAULT_ON=y
32 > CONFIG_INTEL_IOMMU_FLOPPY_WA=y
33 > # CONFIG_IOMMU_DEBUG is not set
34 > # CONFIG_IOMMU_STRESS is not set
35
36 Mine's the same.
37
38 > # zgrep -i dmar /proc/config.gz
39 > CONFIG_DMAR_TABLE=y
40
41 Ditto.
42
43 My options now seem to be to replace the motherboard, replace the display
44 card, both of which are now just over six years old - or drop BOINC projects
45 that use VirtualBox.
46
47 Thanks for the help, Joost. If anyone else has any ideas I'd be grateful to
48 hear them too.
51 Rgds
52 Peter