From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel parameters for VirtualBox
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2016 18:21:46
1 On Thursday 18 Feb 2016 15:24:10 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > In which case I'm stuck, because the BIOS's ez-flash utility won't let me
3 > go backwards in versions. Meanwhile I've flashed the latest one again just
4 > to see if it would make any difference (it hasn't), this time remembering
5 > to reset to defaults first.
6
7 Downgrading the BIOS firmware can be a risky business, but if you use the
8 appropriate process and tools it should be achievable. Get the firmware of
9 one version *prior* to the version you want to end up with; i.e. go back two
10 steps in version terms not just one. If the downgrade is successful, then you
11 will need to re-flash it with the version you intend to end up with.
12
13 On ASUS boards EZ-Flash will read the version in the file name of the ROM
14 image file and refuse to upload it. If you rename the file so as to remove
15 the version from the file name, EZ-Flash should accept it. For example, on an
16 ASUS PC of mine let's say I currently run:
17
18 A88XM-PLUS-ASUS-2401.CAP
19
20 To downgrade to A88XM-PLUS-ASUS-2400.CAP I will need to obtain a version
21 earlier that that, i.e. A88XM-PLUS-ASUS-2399.CAP, to remove "-2399" from the
22 name and try to flash the BIOS with the renamed file. Then upgrade to next
23 version -2400 which I want to run the MoBo with. The naming convention is
24 particular to the BIOS make and model, so search your MoBo/BIOS manufacturer's
25 website for detailed instructions and tools.
26
27 Whatever you do, once you start flashing the ROM do not interrupt the process,
28 or you will most likely brick it. Alternatively, it may be easier to wait for
29 a while until a later firmware version is released and try that to see if it
30 fixes any regression bugs of the current version.
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick