From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Kernel parameters for VirtualBox
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 10:47:50
1 On Thursday 18 February 2016 18:21:04 Mick wrote:
2 > On Thursday 18 Feb 2016 15:24:10 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > In which case I'm stuck, because the BIOS's ez-flash utility won't let
4 > > me
5 > > go backwards in versions. Meanwhile I've flashed the latest one again
6 > > just to see if it would make any difference (it hasn't), this time
7 > > remembering to reset to defaults first.
8 >
9 > Downgrading the BIOS firmware can be a risky business, but if you use the
10 > appropriate process and tools it should be achievable. Get the firmware
11 > of one version *prior* to the version you want to end up with; i.e. go
12 > back two steps in version terms not just one. If the downgrade is
13 > successful, then you will need to re-flash it with the version you intend
14 > to end up with.
15
16 Ooh, sneaky!
17
18 > On ASUS boards EZ-Flash will read the version in the file name of the ROM
19 > image file and refuse to upload it. If you rename the file so as to
20 > remove the version from the file name, EZ-Flash should accept it.
21
22 It didn't occur to me that it might be so simple as the file name; I supposed
23 EZ-Flash must read the content of the file. I'll give it a try anyway.
24
25 > For example, on an ASUS PC of mine let's say I currently run:
26 >
27 > A88XM-PLUS-ASUS-2401.CAP
28 >
29 > To downgrade to A88XM-PLUS-ASUS-2400.CAP I will need to obtain a version
30 > earlier that that, i.e. A88XM-PLUS-ASUS-2399.CAP, to remove "-2399" from
31 > the name and try to flash the BIOS with the renamed file. Then upgrade
32 > to next version -2400 which I want to run the MoBo with. The naming
33 > convention is particular to the BIOS make and model, so search your
34 > MoBo/BIOS manufacturer's website for detailed instructions and tools.
35
36 The process seems straightforward; I'm not so sure about the risk.
37
38 > Whatever you do, once you start flashing the ROM do not interrupt the
39 > process, or you will most likely brick it.
40
41 Yes, of course.
42
43 > Alternatively, it may be easier to wait for a while until a later firmware
44 > version is released and try that to see if it fixes any regression bugs of
45 > the current version.
46
47 Could be, yes. Meanwhile I'll see if the system builder, Armari, can offer
48 any suggestions.
49
50 Thanks for the tip!
53 Rgds