From: Grant Edwards <grante@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading the kernel
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 15:31:11
1 On 2007-10-02, Jed R. Mallen <jedmallen@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Do you guys have a trick that will update a new kernel
4 > quickly? I'm using 2.6.21-gentoo-r4 right now, and have
5 > foregone upgrading to 2.6.22-gentoo-r5 and -r8 because I read
6 > somewhere that I can't just use my old .config file for a new
7 > kernel version if it's *not* a revision-upgrade
8
9 Nonsense.
10
11 Just copy your old .config file into the new source directory
12 and do a "make oldconfig". It'll prompt you when it runs
13 across options that aren't set in the old .config file.
14
15 You probably want to disable generic IDE support and enable the
16 combined SATA/PATA stuff in the new one. The ATA stuff has
17 been completely redone between 2.6.21 and 2.6.22.
18
19 It's always fun to have major incompatible changes made between
20 minor versions in a stable kernel. :/
23 Grant Edwards grante Yow! My NOSE is NUMB!
24 at
25 visi.com
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list