From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1 , question on recompiling
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:43:10
1 Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 060719 Alexander Skwar wrote:
3 >> Leonardo wrote:
4 >>> different versions of gcc and glibc can coexist in the same system
5 >>> and all other installed programs should have no problem
6 >>> if I choose the new gcc with gcc-config.
7 >> The problem is the gcc package not only delivers the gcc compiler package,
8 >> but also some libraries. Further, gcc 4.1.x compiled programs are
9 >> not quite compatible with gcc 3.x compiled programs -
10 >> when you compile a lib with 4.x and still have 3.x compiled pgms around.
11 >> You really should recompile everything
12 >> when you update to gcc 4.1.x from 3.x.
13 >
14 > I upgraded to 4.1.1 a couple of weeks ago & haven't done a mass recompile
15 > & I have yet to run into any problem: yes, there's always tomorrow (grin).
18 I upgraded to 4.1.1 and ran into massive problems. People might
19 remember a "short" thread on this list...
20
21 Because of the problems I had, I would *NEVER* encourage people
22 to *NOT* recompile everything.
23
24 Alexander Skwar
25 --
26 <rm_-rf_> The real value of KDE is that they inspired and push the
27 development of GNOME :-)
28 -- #Debian
29 --
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list