From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1 , question on recompiling
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:14:02
1 060719 Alexander Skwar wrote:
2 > Leonardo wrote:
3 >> different versions of gcc and glibc can coexist in the same system
4 >> and all other installed programs should have no problem
5 >> if I choose the new gcc with gcc-config.
6 > The problem is the gcc package not only delivers the gcc compiler package,
7 > but also some libraries. Further, gcc 4.1.x compiled programs are
8 > not quite compatible with gcc 3.x compiled programs -
9 > when you compile a lib with 4.x and still have 3.x compiled pgms around.
10 > You really should recompile everything
11 > when you update to gcc 4.1.x from 3.x.
12
13 I upgraded to 4.1.1 a couple of weeks ago & haven't done a mass recompile
14 & I have yet to run into any problem: yes, there's always tomorrow (grin).
18 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
19 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
20 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
21 --
22 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list