From: Alexander Skwar <listen@×××××××××××××××.name>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrading to gcc 4.1 , question on recompiling
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:39:07
1 Leonardo wrote:
2
3 > From what I've understand, different versions of gcc and glibc
4 > can coexist in the same gentoo system, and all other installed
5 > programs should have no problem if I choose the new gcc with
6 > gcc-config.
7 >
8 > Am I right?
9
10 Not quite. The problem is, that the gcc package not only delivers
11 the gcc compiler package, but also some libraries. Further, gcc
12 4.1.x compiled programs are not quite compatible with gcc 3.x compiled
13 programs - that's a problem, when you compile a library with 4.x
14 and still have 3.x compiled programs around.
15
16 > Because I don'want to recompile the whole system with a
17 > different gcc version
18
19 You really should recompile everything when you update to gcc 4.1.x
20 from 3.x. See the GCC upgrade doc at http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/gcc-upgrading.xml
23 Alexander Skwar
24 --
25 <rm_-rf_> The real value of KDE is that they inspired and push the
26 development of GNOME :-)
27 -- #Debian
28 --
29 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list