From: "Sven Köhler" <skoehler@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Upgrading to gcc 4.1 , question on recompiling
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 13:28:16
1 >> The problem is the gcc package not only delivers the gcc compiler package,
2 >> but also some libraries. Further, gcc 4.1.x compiled programs are
3 >> not quite compatible with gcc 3.x compiled programs -
4 >> when you compile a lib with 4.x and still have 3.x compiled pgms around.
5 >> You really should recompile everything
6 >> when you update to gcc 4.1.x from 3.x.
7 >
8 > I upgraded to 4.1.1 a couple of weeks ago & haven't done a mass recompile
9 > & I have yet to run into any problem: yes, there's always tomorrow (grin).
10
11 same here!
14 Well, but the problem that people see is, that actually the libstc++ of
15 gcc 4.1 _should_ be compatible with the libstdc++ of gcc 3.x - well, but
16 the gentoo-people are usually pessimistic about it :-)
17 And actually some incompatibilities are already known, i think (but they
18 didn't affect me *eg*)
19
20 (actually there was an ABI-switch within th gcc3.x series, before gcc
21 3.4 i think)