From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] AMD Phenom X6 + Linux + "Turbo Core" ???
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2010 20:29:28
1 On Friday 03 December 2010, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I googled this and found some other people asking the same question...
5 > But I didn't find the answer.
6 >
7 > I am using linux kernel 2.6.36.1 vanilla to run on a AMD Phenom X6
8 > 1090T/ASUS Crosshair IV Formula system.
9 >
10 > I enabled "ondemand" CPU frequency scaling givernor in the kernel and
11 > "Cool'n' Quiet" in the bios of the board. I also enabled "Turbo Core"
12 > in the bios (which says the 3200MHz is max and 3600 MHz in case of
13 > Turbo Core being used.. I disabled C1E.
14 >
15 > After Linux is booted (AMD64!) and idled, the CPU is running at 800Mhz
16 > (nice!) and at 3200 MHz when system is under load.
17 >
18 > But:
19 > With prime I put exactly two cores under load, so normally Turbo Core
20 > would kick in...but the clock of those both cores show 3200MHz instead
21 > of 3600MHz....
22 >
23 > How can I make use of the Turbo-Core feature unde Linux?
24
25 and you looked at the speed using cat /proc/cpuinfo?
26
27 Because the mhz displayed there are misleading. cpuinfo does not show at which
28 speeds it is acutally running if there is any oc/uc involved. An overclocked
29 cpu might show 2Ghz while it is running at 2.3GHz
30
31 See:
32 http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26065