From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switched monitors, having resolution problems
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 14:49:22
1 On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 07:02:40 +0200
2 "Vlad Dogaru" <ddvlad@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > I'll add this to the list of things I learned today. Apologies for the
6 > inconvenience.
7 no inconvenience here, but others on the mailinglist have no doubt
8 learned as well .. so thanks for the convenience ; )
9
10 > I am now using a VESA-compatible modeline for 1280x1024@75 (not sure
11 > about the last one). I just pasted it from ddcxinfo-knoppix, knowing
12 > the monitor would work with these settings.
13 that looks good. the @75 is just part of the arbitrary modeline name,
14 but actually refers to the refresh rate being used - a nice, fliker
15 free 75Hz (or kHz, whichever it is i can't rememver)
16 > One more question, though. If I switch back to my older, smaller
17 > monitor and forget to change the modeline, will it get fried? I seem
18 > to see this warning quite often.
19 I have seen that warning too, but I haven't yet been able to actually
20 break a monitor like that. I think the current technology (circa early
21 to mid 90s and up) no longer has this problem. However, don't take it
22 from me as fact, but a guess correlating with the experiences I have
23 had. Usually, newer monitors simply show an 'out of range' box on the
24 screen, and older ones show an image composed entirely of quickly
25 waving gray black and white horizontal lines; the monitor in this case
26 has always happily performed afterwords just fine at supported
27 resolutions.
28
29 there is one thing i would mention though. You know how as monitors
30 wear out they get blurrier and blurrer, and image quality decreases?
31 Well, setting the refresh rate too high on some older, cheaper
32 monitors seems to result in a much accellerated blurification process.
33 > Thanks for the help,
34 > Vlad
35 any time.
36 -dan