From: Vlad Dogaru <ddvlad@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switched monitors, having resolution problems
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 05:08:08
1 On 3/1/07, Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx> wrote:
2 > On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:58:56 -0000
3 > "Nelson, David \(ED, PAR&D\)" <David.Nelson2@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > > -----Original Message-----
6 > > > From: Vlad Dogaru [mailto:ddvlad@×××××.com]
7 > > > Sent: 28 February 2007 04:56
8 > > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
9 > > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switched monitors, having
10 > > > resolution problems
11 > > >
12 > > > > > > > On Mittwoch, 28. Februar 2007, Vlad Dogaru wrote:
13 > > > > > > > > Hello all,
14 > > > > > > > >
15 > > > > > > > > I have just switched monitors and X now starts in
16 > > > > > > > > 640x480. I intend to make it work at 1280x1024...
17 > > > > > > > > [snip] ...Any suggestions?
18 >
19 > > I find I have to set "IgnoreEDID" "True" in my xorg.conf card options
20 > > to get it to work. I am not entirely sure why - but it works. I think
21 > > it ignores what the monitor says its settings are and then uses
22 > > settings you specified, but I could be wrong.
23 > something like that. I don't usually set it, but I think that's mostly
24 > because the only time I have to specify settings myself is when the
25 > EDID or whatever isn't working properly. Monitors' support for this
26 > mode-gathering stuff seems to vary inversely with it's age. Many of
27 > the older ones I have refuse to help X configure them at all.
28 > >
29 > > PS: Can we please try to trim the emails down a little? Quoting
30 > > several paragraphs of settings makes for a long email ;) Cheers
31 > ++. It's so true.
32 I'll add this to the list of things I learned today. Apologies for the
33 inconvenience.
34 >
35 > >Does this program guarantee that the settings really do work for my
36 > >monitor or are they just generic?
37 > I am not familiar with ddcxinfo-knoppix, but it probably lists modelines
38 > from up to 3 different sources. The graphics card can supply a list of
39 > available resolutions -- that's where 1920x1440@75 came from I bet.
40 > The monitor's refresh rates can also be used to extrapolate possible
41 > modelines -- I don't know how to do this, but aside from this program,
42 > there are websites that can do so for you. Finally, the VESA standard
43 > defines what would likely be called generic settings that are supported
44 > by any VESA-compliant monitor and graphics card (just about all of them
45 > you can still physically connect to new computers, nowadays). These
46 > standard values are a good place to start, as your monitor should work
47 > for them, and you should be able to find one (1280x1024@70, maybe)
48 > that your monitor supports and that looks nice and doesn't flicker too
49 > much, and performs well on your hardware. the Modes line is meant to
50 > be a list of modeline names, so you may or may not need the @70 part
51 > depending on where the modeline came from. the X logs should list many
52 > modelines which X came up with after probing the hardware, and you
53 > probably want to use a name from the desired one of these.
54 I am now using a VESA-compatible modeline for 1280x1024@75 (not sure
55 about the last one). I just pasted it from ddcxinfo-knoppix, knowing
56 the monitor would work with these settings.
57
58 One more question, though. If I switch back to my older, smaller
59 monitor and forget to change the modeline, will it get fried? I seem
60 to see this warning quite often.
61
62 Thanks for the help,
63 Vlad
64 >
65 > Have you tried looking up online and entering the refresh rates
66 > manually? I highly recommend doing so.
67 >
68 > Best of luck,
69 > dan.
70 >
71 > --
72 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
78 How's my English? How about my Netiquette?
79 Do mail me if something is wrong with my behaviour. Thank you.
80 --
81 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list