From: Dan Farrell <dan@×××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switched monitors, having resolution problems
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:48:26
1 On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 08:58:56 -0000
2 "Nelson, David \(ED, PAR&D\)" <David.Nelson2@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > > -----Original Message-----
5 > > From: Vlad Dogaru [mailto:ddvlad@×××××.com]
6 > > Sent: 28 February 2007 04:56
7 > > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
8 > > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switched monitors, having
9 > > resolution problems
10 > >
11 > > > > > > On Mittwoch, 28. Februar 2007, Vlad Dogaru wrote:
12 > > > > > > > Hello all,
13 > > > > > > >
14 > > > > > > > I have just switched monitors and X now starts in
15 > > > > > > > 640x480. I intend to make it work at 1280x1024...
16 > > > > > > > [snip] ...Any suggestions?
17
18 > I find I have to set "IgnoreEDID" "True" in my xorg.conf card options
19 > to get it to work. I am not entirely sure why - but it works. I think
20 > it ignores what the monitor says its settings are and then uses
21 > settings you specified, but I could be wrong.
22 something like that. I don't usually set it, but I think that's mostly
23 because the only time I have to specify settings myself is when the
24 EDID or whatever isn't working properly. Monitors' support for this
25 mode-gathering stuff seems to vary inversely with it's age. Many of
26 the older ones I have refuse to help X configure them at all.
27 >
28 > PS: Can we please try to trim the emails down a little? Quoting
29 > several paragraphs of settings makes for a long email ;) Cheers
30 ++. It's so true.
31
32 >Does this program guarantee that the settings really do work for my
33 >monitor or are they just generic?
34 I am not familiar with ddcxinfo-knoppix, but it probably lists modelines
35 from up to 3 different sources. The graphics card can supply a list of
36 available resolutions -- that's where 1920x1440@75 came from I bet.
37 The monitor's refresh rates can also be used to extrapolate possible
38 modelines -- I don't know how to do this, but aside from this program,
39 there are websites that can do so for you. Finally, the VESA standard
40 defines what would likely be called generic settings that are supported
41 by any VESA-compliant monitor and graphics card (just about all of them
42 you can still physically connect to new computers, nowadays). These
43 standard values are a good place to start, as your monitor should work
44 for them, and you should be able to find one (1280x1024@70, maybe)
45 that your monitor supports and that looks nice and doesn't flicker too
46 much, and performs well on your hardware. the Modes line is meant to
47 be a list of modeline names, so you may or may not need the @70 part
48 depending on where the modeline came from. the X logs should list many
49 modelines which X came up with after probing the hardware, and you
50 probably want to use a name from the desired one of these.
51
52 Have you tried looking up online and entering the refresh rates
53 manually? I highly recommend doing so.
54
55 Best of luck,
56 dan.
59 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list