From: Jean Magnan de Bornier <jean@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mail systems
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 19:12:32
1 Le 09 octobre à 20:49:12 "Brett I. Holcomb" <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net> écrit notamment:
2
3 | I have been running fetchmail->procmail->pine but would like to use
4 | Opera. However, Opera doesn't appear to be able to understand the system
5 | of mailboxes for Pine.
6
7 Is not pine a mail client, just as opera(mail)? In which case what would
8 pine's system of mailboxes be?
9
10 | How can I use Opera with fetchmail, procmail and pine or do I need to
11 | move to something else - like postfix. If so what is recommeded and how
12 | is it setup? Do I still use fetchmail and procmail with something like
13 | postfix?
14 >
15 I think you can use any combination of those, but opera can retrieve your
16 mail (the basic function of fetchmail), split it into separate folders
17 (the basic function of procmail), and send your mail through a remote smtp
18 server (postfix would do it also, with more complicated things).
19 It all depends of what you expect from your mail system; if you manage one
20 or two personal accounts, opera alone will do fine, but you can also keep
21 your fetchmail and procmail with their own settings.
22
23 If what you aim at is using alternatively pine or opera (or gnus, or mutt,
24 or thunderbird, etc...), then you need to use an imap-based system, which
25 can be done with postfix, or by taking advantage of imap capacities of
26 your remote servers (if they provide it)
27
28 hth,
29 --
30 Jean Magnan de Bornier | Cours Victor Hugo
31 e-mots: jean at bornier.net | 13980 Alleins France
32 T 08 70 39 34 03 | P 06 09 17 35 87
35 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list