From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Question about selecting ebuilds from local overlay
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 2010 08:00:15
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 09:49 on Friday 15 October 2010, Neil Bothwick
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 02:31:05 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
5 > > 1) What if I want to use the standard ebuild and ignore my local ebuild
6 > > (probably quite rare)?
7 > >
8 > > 2) How would I select the the specific version I want (they all have the
9 > > same ebuild name) if I have multiple local overlays?
10 > >
11 > > I could tweak the overlays setting in /etc/make.conf or rename a local
12 > >
13 > > overlay directory, so that it doesn't get seen as an overlay, but that
14 > > seems rather heavy-handed.
15 >
16 > The last named overlay has the highest priority, the standard portage
17 > tree the lowest. Rather than mess with make.conf, you could override
18 > PORTDIR_OVERLAY on the command line
19 >
20 > PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/my/preferred/overlay" emerge foo
21
22 Probably not useful to the OP, but
25 I have a dim memory of some recent blog post somewhere. One of the alternate
26 package managers has better support for this kind of thing than portage.
27
28 Not paludis, rather something with "cave" in it's name
32 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com