From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Clean up world file
Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2006 00:51:44
1 On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 05:30:54AM -0500, Anthony E. Caudel wrote
2 > There was a recent thread about about what should or should not be in
3 > the world file.
4 >
5 > Regarding that, my world file is bloated. Until recently, I had a
6 > tendency to do updates piecemeal but did not use --oneshot. This put
7 > packages in that I do not think belong.
8
9 This may not help now, but keep it in mind next time you install from
10 scratch...
11 step 1) install a basic text-console-only system
12 step 2) "emerge gimp" (or some other X app). You'll end up with a gimp
13 and a functional X and twm. I prefer blackbox. So I would
14 "emerge bbkeys". This pulls in and sets up blackbox on X.
15
16 The emerge at step 2) pulls in umpteen dependancies, and is an
17 overnight job on a 400 mhz PII. I have quite a few apps, and my world
18 is 85 lines.
21 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
22 My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca
23 --