From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fonts and bad eyes
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 11:59:30
1 On Monday 19 May 2014 12:29:09 David Haller wrote:
2 > On Sun, 18 May 2014, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > Some time ago I tried to find out where the VC font is defined, with
4 > > a view to removing that oblique bar, but I ran out of steam before
5 > > finding it. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be grateful.
6 >
7 > /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/console/font_*.c
8 >
9 > e.g.: font_10x18.c
10 >
11 > /* 48 0x30 '0' */
12 > 0x00, 0x00, /* 0000000000 */
13 > 0x0e, 0x00, /* 0000111000 */
14 > 0x1f, 0x00, /* 0001111100 */
15 > 0x23, 0x00, /* 0010001100 */
16 > 0x61, 0x80, /* 0110000110 */
17 > 0x63, 0x80, /* 011000@110 */
18 > 0x65, 0x80, /* 01100@0110 */
19 > 0x65, 0x80, /* 01100@0110 */
20 > 0x69, 0x80, /* 0110@00110 */
21 > 0x69, 0x80, /* 0110@00110 */
22 > 0x71, 0x80, /* 011@000110 */
23 > 0x61, 0x00, /* 0110000100 */
24 > 0x31, 0x00, /* 0011000100 */
25 > 0x3e, 0x00, /* 0011111000 */
26 > 0x1c, 0x00, /* 0001110000 */
27 > 0x00, 0x00, /* 0000000000 */
28 > 0x00, 0x00, /* 0000000000 */
29 > 0x00, 0x00, /* 0000000000 */
30 >
31 > There you have your "diagonal" (I marked i with "@" instead of "1").
32
33 Magic! Let me know when you're next in the Peak District and the drinks will
34 be on me!
35
36 > Or it's the default8x16.psf[u][.gz] in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts.
37 >
38 > So, depending on which console-font you've chosen, edit the char of
39 > the respective font and make a patch out of it (diff), so that you can
40 > easily apply it to new kernels. Maybe make an overlay out of it ;)
41 >
42 > I think, the kernel-builtin fonts are used until framebuffer and kbd
43 > are loaded.
44 >
45 > HTH,
46 > -dnh