From: David Haller <gentoo@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fonts and bad eyes
Date: Mon, 19 May 2014 10:30:08
1 Hello,
2
3 On Sun, 18 May 2014, Peter Humphrey wrote:
4 >On Saturday 17 May 2014 13:21:08 David Haller wrote:
5 >> The Linux text-console font is also very good.
6 >Yes, except for one thing: the oblique stroke through the zero. That makes it
7 >almost indistinguishable from an 8, to my poor eyes (one acute myopia, the
8 >other even more acute astigmatism together with moderate myopia, and now both
9 >being destroyed slowly by glaucoma).
10 >
11 >Some time ago I tried to find out where the VC font is defined, with
12 >a view to removing that oblique bar, but I ran out of steam before
13 >finding it. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd be grateful.
14
15 /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/console/font_*.c
16
17 e.g.: font_10x18.c
18
19 /* 48 0x30 '0' */
20 0x00, 0x00, /* 0000000000 */
21 0x0e, 0x00, /* 0000111000 */
22 0x1f, 0x00, /* 0001111100 */
23 0x23, 0x00, /* 0010001100 */
24 0x61, 0x80, /* 0110000110 */
25 0x63, 0x80, /* 011000@110 */
26 0x65, 0x80, /* 01100@0110 */
27 0x65, 0x80, /* 01100@0110 */
28 0x69, 0x80, /* 0110@00110 */
29 0x69, 0x80, /* 0110@00110 */
30 0x71, 0x80, /* 011@000110 */
31 0x61, 0x00, /* 0110000100 */
32 0x31, 0x00, /* 0011000100 */
33 0x3e, 0x00, /* 0011111000 */
34 0x1c, 0x00, /* 0001110000 */
35 0x00, 0x00, /* 0000000000 */
36 0x00, 0x00, /* 0000000000 */
37 0x00, 0x00, /* 0000000000 */
38
39 There you have your "diagonal" (I marked i with "@" instead of "1").
40
41 Or it's the default8x16.psf[u][.gz] in /usr/share/kbd/consolefonts.
42
43 So, depending on which console-font you've chosen, edit the char of
44 the respective font and make a patch out of it (diff), so that you can
45 easily apply it to new kernels. Maybe make an overlay out of it ;)
46
47 I think, the kernel-builtin fonts are used until framebuffer and kbd
48 are loaded.
49
50 HTH,
51 -dnh
54 Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].