From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Black Screen of Death
Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 00:02:50
1 On 7/19/19 2:48 PM, Stefan Schmiedl wrote:
2 > Re: [gentoo-user] Black Screen of Death "jdm" <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>,
3 > 19.07.2019, 07:28:
4 >
5 > > I have updated firmware line in kernel as this now includes a few extra
6 > > lines so not loading all of the available firmware.
7 >
8 > > Thanks for advice and I'll see how I get on.
9 >
10 > Can you trigger the crash by (over-)exerting the system?
11 >
12 > A few years ago I had a box with 4x4GB of RAM and a similar
13 > crash only occurred during heavy load, say recompiling gcc
14 > with -j 9. Turned out that _two_ of the four RAM modules were
15 > faulty. And statistical evidence led me to the conclusion
16 > that those were only used when the first 8GB were exhausted.
17 >
18 > If you can spare the box for a day, boot into memtest and
19 > let it run for at least 12 hours.
20 >
21 > s.
24 Also, check if you have cpu isolation turned off in your kernel - when
25 its on causes this type of crash.
28 Bill K.