From: Stefan Schmiedl <s@×××.de>
To: jdm <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>, gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Black Screen of Death
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 06:48:37
1 "jdm" <jdm@××××××××××××.uk>, 19.07.2019, 07:28:
2
3 > I have updated firmware line in kernel as this now includes a few extra
4 > lines so not loading all of the available firmware.
5
6 > Thanks for advice and I'll see how I get on.
7
8 Can you trigger the crash by (over-)exerting the system?
9
10 A few years ago I had a box with 4x4GB of RAM and a similar
11 crash only occurred during heavy load, say recompiling gcc
12 with -j 9. Turned out that _two_ of the four RAM modules were
13 faulty. And statistical evidence led me to the conclusion
14 that those were only used when the first 8GB were exhausted.
15
16 If you can spare the box for a day, boot into memtest and
17 let it run for at least 12 hours.
18
19 s.