From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Cc: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 18:50:09
1 Am Dienstag, 18. Dezember 2012, 23:02:41 schrieb Marc Joliet:
2 > Am Tue, 18 Dec 2012 13:34:07 +0000
3 > schrieb Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>:
4 >
5 > [...]
6 >
7 > > Going back in time
8 > > his claim of pulse audio being good for professional audio was also
9 > > completely off the mark. Seperating Gnome and pulse can now cause pro
10 > > audio users on binary distro's major headaches too. I pointed one
11 > > fellow in the direction of a pro audio on gentoo tutorial rather than
12 > > deal with some new problems a little after systemd hit Arch.
13 >
14 > Holy cow, did he really? Link, please! I thought pulseaudio was only ever
15 > advertised for desktop and some embedded use cases, and that Lennart is
16 > perfectly aware of the fundamental differences between JACK and PA and that
17 > they target a completely different range of applications [0]. I wouldn't
18 > *dream* of using anything other than JACK (with LADISH) for pro-audio work
19 > (well, more like "home recording" in my case, but close enough).
20 >
21 > I actually like pulseaudio for desktop use, though. When you start JACK it
22 > will kindly get out of the way, so the two aren't necessarily mutually
23 > exclusive (actually, you can set it up to automatically set up ports in
24 > JACK2 with the jackdbus-detect module, if you want that). After a few years
25 > of use I finally ended up requiring one of its more "advanced" features:
26 > moving streams between sound cards at runtime.
27 >
28 > [0] http://0pointer.de/blog/projects/when-pa-and-when-not.html
29
30 remember this? a solution without a problem to solve, making a lot of people's
31 lifes harder, dropped onto them by the godlike Lennart P.?
32 http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2009/06/0218.html
35 #163933