From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What happens with masked packages?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 19:44:48
1 On Saturday 25 February 2006 12:57, Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
2 wrote about 'Re: [gentoo-user] What happens with masked packages?':
3 > On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:57:43 -0600 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
4 >
5 > <bss03@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > | > ~arch means a package is a candidate for going into arch after
7 > | > further testing, if said testing does not turn up new bugs. This
8 > | > means that both the ebuild *and* the package should be likely to be
9 > | > stable.
10 > |
11 > | So, betas shouldn't ever be ~arch? Or is your definition of stable
12 > | broad enough to include betas?
13 >
14 > Entirely dependent on the upstream. I've had Vim beta releases in
15 > ~arch, for example, because I'm confident in upstream's ability to do
16 > beta releases without screwing up.
17
18 So, it's based on the collective opinion of the gentoo developers?
19 Wouldn't it be better to put that in the hands of the gentoo user?
20
21 > The -* abuse is one of the many things on QA's list of "stuff we want
22 > to get fixed". However, it's considered extremely low priority on
23 > existing packages.
24
25 As it should be, since there are well-known user work-arounds.
28 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.
29 bss03@××××××××××.com
30 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
31 --