From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Delays while building Libre Office.
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 20:38:59
1 Hi, Florian.
2
3 On Sat, May 04, 2013 at 12:12:51PM +0200, Florian Philipp wrote:
4 > Am 02.05.2013 18:27, schrieb Alan Mackenzie:
5 > > Hi, Gentoo.
6
7 > > I've just built libreoffice-3.6.6.2 and it took 2 hours 10 minutes on my
8 > > 2.6 GHz quad core Athlon 2. It used to take about an hour.
9
10 > > Watching the build, it became evident that the first 50 minutes or so
11 > > was taken up by several hundred mkdir operations (more precisely, mkdir
12 > > -p <long path>). Some of these mkdir's would take, perhaps, a minute to
13 > > execute. All the while, top showed make taking 100% of one core.
14
15 > > There seems to be something suboptimal here. Has anybody else seen
16 > > this, or does anybody have any ideas how to fix the problem?
19 > I'm seeing the same behavior here.
20 > libreoffice-3.6.6.2 on a mostly stable system.
21 > btrfs on lvm on dmcrypt on a hybrid disk.
22 > kernel 3.7.5 pf-sources.
23
24 > I don't think is has anything to do with the file system or hardware.
25 > make is eating 200M memory and uses 100% CPU, not mkdir. I guess the
26 > script is just buggy.
27
28 Thanks for the report. I think the build script is buggy, too. There is
29 something about our systems, possibly some use flag, which is driving
30 make crazy.
31
32 There doesn't appear to be any action in emerge which unpacks the build
33 files (or even the entire source) of a package for perusal. This is a
34 shame.
35
36 At this point, I have to ask myself whether spending time trying to debug
37 it (or even to report the bug usefully) is better than simply tolerating
38 the long build time. It doesn't seem like there'll be an easy solution.
39
40 > Regards,
41 > Florian Philipp
44 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).