From: Daniel D Jones <ddjones@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Grub boots to command prompt - solved
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 2009 18:03:03
1 On Thursday 24 December 2009 08:52:37 Daniel D Jones wrote:
2 > Just did a stage 3 install following a HD crash on a new HD. The initial
3 > install went without issue and I booted from the HD normally. I then went
4 > through and installed a bunch of packages - xorg, kde, etc. I installed
5 > genkernel, compiled a custom kernel, and updated /boot/grub/menu.lst.
6 >
7 > Upon rebooting, I ended up at a grub command line. I can setup the hard
8 > drive without errors:
9 >
10 > grub> root (hd0,0)
11 > Filesystem type is ext2fs, partition type 0x83
12 >
13 > grub> setup (hd0)
14 > Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... yes
15 > Checking if "/boot/grub/stage2" exists... yes
16 > Checking if "/boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
17 > Running "embed /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 17 sectors are
18 > embedded. succeeded
19 > Running "install /boot/grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+17 p
20 > (hd0,0)/boot/grub/stage2 /boot/grub/menu.lst"... succeeded
21 > Done.
22 >
23 > No errors, says everything's good. Reboot and I'm right back at the
24 > command line.
25
26 Found the issue. For some reason, the default menu.lst created with the stage
27 3 install had the title line commented out. When I added the new genkernel to
28 the file, I copied and pasted, then edited the kernel line. My guess is that
29 grub uses the title line as the flag to break between options. With both title
30 lines commented out, it saw a single option block with multiple kernel
31 statements. Uncommenting the title lines corrected the issue.
34 "The unnatural, that too is natural." - Goethe