From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Looking for a different way to rsync (or similiar)
Date: Mon, 01 Aug 2011 13:08:57
1 meino.cramer@×××.de writes:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > I have to old (technical identical) harddisks formerly used for backup
6 > purposes. They contain each a different set of files -- the
7 > partitioning is identical. Both disks are nearly filled.
8 >
9 > The harddisk in my PC has more free space (they contain a totally
10 > different system than the old disks!)
11
12 You might be able to make use of rsync's flag: --compare-dest=DIR
13
14 I've done something like this way back but not sure the flag above is
15 the correct one.
16
17 However rsync does have the capability to compare more than one
18 heirarchy before moving data... just not sure that is the proper flag.
19
20 Try `man rsync' and see if that looks like it will help?
21
22 If that isn't clear... then I recommend the rsync list on gmane. I've
23 found many times, that list is very helpful.