From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] BIND Configuration for DNS
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2022 17:09:09
1 On Fri, Jan 14, 2022 at 10:45 AM Raphael Mejias Dias <raphaxx@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Basically, I'm wanting to create an internal address like intranet.local, this way, I can change the internal IP address, without the obligation to reconfigure the client machines to lookup the new IP, only changing the DNS lookup table.
4
5 I'd avoid using the .local TLD due to RFC 6762. You might also
6 consider whether mDNS is actually the easiest solution to your
7 problem.
8
9 > I've realized the network PC's did not find the DNS address, only the localhost can find it, when I force the DNS, the client PC cannot access the internet anymore.
10
11 I don't know what you mean by "force the DNS" but in general most OSes
12 will just have a list of DNS servers that they will pick from either
13 in order or randomly, and without regard to what the TLD is. So,
14 you'll probably want to tell them to use your internal DNS server as
15 the only DNS server. This means it needs to be authoritative for your
16 internal domain and resolving for the others.
17
18 If you used the .local TLD then you might also be running into issues
19 with conflicts with RFC 6762.
20
21 BIND is capable of doing the job - I have it set up to resolve an
22 internal domain and outside DNS.
23
24 I have BIND set up to forward first to Google DNS, and then added my
25 zones to it.
28 Rich