From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: systemd - are we forced to switch?
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2013 17:28:22
1 Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 2:04 AM, András Csányi <sayusi.ando@××××××.hu> wrote:
4 > > On 23 July 2013 08:54, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > >> On 23/07/13 08:43, Samuli Suominen wrote:
6 > >>>
7 > >>> On 23/07/13 00:46, Mark David Dumlao wrote:
8 > >>>>
9 > >>>> This would be a lot less of an issue if someone just wrote a logind
10 > >>>> ebuild (wink wink) that provides consolekit like it was originally
11 > >>>> intended.
12 > >>>
13 > >>>
14 > >>> not possible, logind since systemd >= 205 requires systemd and won't
15 > >>> work on openrc, upstart, and such
16 > >>> as in, the idea of using logind outside of systemd is a dead end
17 > >>>
18 > >>> so keeping ConsoleKit in portage for long as it works for long as we
19 > >>> need openrc for Linux based systems
20 > >>> and when it no longer works, the contingency plan is to ship vendor
21 > >>> based polkit files that possibly either restore 'plugdev' group or
22 > >>> provide similar groups to ArchLinux like 'network', 'storage', 'power'
23 > >>> to split up the old 'plugdev'
24 > >>
25 > >>
26 > >> Wouldn't it be better to switch to systemd instead?
27 > >
28 > > Is there a migration guide? According to google there is no any. (or I
29 > > haven't spend enough time to search)
30 >
31 > You have the wiki:
32 >
33 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Systemd
34 >
35 > I believe it covers the most important aspects of the migration. Also,
36 > it is so much easier now; we even have a stable version on systemd in
37 > the tree.
38
39 Couldn't emerge systemd its blocked by udev -- did a google search, but
40 found some very confusing posts to do with static-libs.
44 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
45 How do
46 you spend it?
47
48 John Covici