From: "Claudio Roberto França Pereira" <spideybr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How do I deamonize every service?
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:36:24
1 On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 13:50, Paul Hartman
2 <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 9:40 AM, LK <linuxrocksrulers@××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 2012, Feb 14, Tuesday,  13:30, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
5 >>>  -b, --background
6 >>>             Background immediately.  This is useful for startup
7 >>>             scripts which don't disable link messages for carrier
8 >>>             status.
9 >>>
10 >>> So to use that option, edit /etc/conf.d/net and use:
11 >>>
12 >>>  dhcpcd_eth0="--background"
13 >> That works.
14 >>
15 >> On Arch Linux there is a variable with all important things to
16 >> be run, like dhcpcd, ssh, apache, and so on. If I want i can
17 >> simply prepend a '@' to be begin to start it in the background.
18 >> I miss that ease on gentoo, where i dont want to wait
19 >> for sshd or  dhcpcd to start. Now the above solution for
20 >> dhcpcd is not general.
21 >>
22 >> I dont want to take the specific way for each service.
23 >>
24 >> TIA.
25 >
26 > If you emerge ifplugd it should automatically let network start
27 > immediately at boot, and then do the actual connection in the
28 > background. It also handles unplug/plugging of the cable without you
29 > needing to do anything.
32 wicd also has a daemon that does this.
33 --
34 Claudio Roberto França Pereira