From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 01:17:24
1 On 11 Feb 2010, at 00:01, Jörg Schaible wrote:
2 >> ...
3 >> your understanding is wrong. Completely wrong. Seriously it hurts.
4 >>
5 >> start here:
6 >>
7 >> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEPOMUK_(framework)
8 >>
9 >> and then proceed with the links.
10 >>
11 >> google-desktop is something completley different (and something
12 >> that can
13 >> be replaced with find, locate and grep).
14 >
15 > Well, in 4.3.x I eliminated it after the first try, because it took
16 > so many
17 > resources of my machine, that I could not use it for something else.
18 > So, you
19 > mean, in 4.4.x it takes only a 10% of the resources it took with
20 > 4.3.x? LOL,
21 > although I really like the idea of the semantic desktop, I rather
22 > have a
23 > usable machine ...
24
25 I don't use KDE, but when I freshly install Mac OS (or migrate to a
26 new hard-drive) the Spotlight indexing hammers the drive for several
27 hours. It is not reasonable to compare performance during this initial
28 indexing period.
29
30 There is no way the likes of `find`, `grep` and `locate` - useful as
31 they are - can operate as efficiently as this kind of indexing (and
32 Spotlight is pretty damn poor - your KDE implementation is surely
33 loads better). I love `find`, `grep` and `locate` - they're fantastic,
34 but my typical usage of them is to perform strict batch operations. If
35 I just want to open a document then why would I wait for `find`,
36 `grep` - or go hunting around manually in sub-directories of sub-
37 directories - when I can just type a keyword into the search box and
38 find it immediately?
39
40 I cannot for a moment believe that you (Roy) can organise your files
41 so that you can find them easier than typing a search term & clicking
42 on the correct result. You just don't want to try it because your
43 current methods are "good enough" for you, but this isn't good grounds
44 on which to complain about KDE moving on with their development of a
45 state-of-the-art desktop which will actually make life easier for
46 millions of other people (people who aren't afraid to try it).
47
48 After the initial index, data is only indexed when you save a file,
49 using inotify [1], which is built into the kernel for maximum
50 efficiency. (Please correct me if I'm wrong about KDE's
51 implementation). So in actual real world usage, the result is that it
52 takes a fraction of a second longer when you save an Open Office
53 document. My 5 year old desktop can handle this overhead just fine. A
54 £100 Core 2 Duo + motherboard combo would surely handle it MUCH
55 better. I trust you can see why I'm dubious of claims of poor
56 performance.
57
58 I don't wish to seem rude, being strident with my arguments here. This
59 is just the way I see it.
60
61 Stroller.
65 [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inotify