From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Announcement of tricky upgrades & stuff [was: lyx & texlive]
Date: Thu, 01 May 2008 02:29:13
1 On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 09:53:21PM +0200, Penguin Lover b.n. squawked:
2 > It basically doesn't say "you better upgrade to texlive before tetex
3 > goes in the /dev/null department". It says "well, tetex maintainer steps
4 > down." That's very much different -someone could have stepped in and
5 > replaced Esser. It is alarming, my fault for having missed it, but not
6
7 True.
8
9 > nearly as much as what I'd expect. Most importantly, no link at all was
10 > posted for a migration guide.
11
12 I don't think the migration guide had been written then.
13
14 > What I'd expect is gentoo-announce to shout loud things like "Attention,
15 > please! People using tetex should consider upgrading to texlive unless
16 > their very own life depends on texlive! The migration guide is there
17 > [link]. Problems should be reported here,here and here." Possibly with
18 > repeated announcements: one for ~arch people ("hey, this is beginning to
19 > be pushed in testing,report here..."),so that also arch people can
20 > prepare, and then repeat it for the arch people, when it's time.
21
22 well, tetex is perfectly useable and still perfectly compatible with
23 the majority (if not all) of the modules you can find on CTAN, so I
24 don't think there is really a necessity to switch to texlive.
25
26 It really isn't that big a deal yet: tetex is still in the tree and
27 people who default to using it aren't missing out on much. I'm sure
28 that when the day comes that tetex is to be removed by the tree
29 cleaners, you will get sufficient notification about its pending
30 removal (through messages in emerge --pretend --update world and
31 such).
32
33 > Shouldn't
34 > gentoo-announce serve the purpose of announcing stuff like texlive,
35 > expat upgrade, gcc/glibc upgrades, the upcoming baselayout-2 thing (that
36 > from posts here looks like a potential storm of s**t for the unwary),
37 > etc.? If it's not gentoo-announce, what is the right place?
38
39 One would think so. But in the grand scale of things, I really don't think
40 texlive it is fair to put texlive in the same category as stuff in
41 system. Technically a lot of this should go in the GMN, but no one can
42 really anticipate something like what happened to baselayout-2
43 happening.
44
45 Package removals usually have their last-rites announced in the
46 GWN/GMN, and are usually masked for a period before the removal. In a
47 way you and I are being early adopters for the texlive migration.
48
49 W
52 All my friends tell me peer pressure is cool.
53 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 510 days, 51 min
54 --
55 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list