From: John Dangler <jdangler@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] iptables
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 23:51:41
1 I emerged firestarter (during which I got iptables), and forgot that I
2 didn't have iptables emerged prior. I went into the kernel and selected (as
3 the doc I found suggests) all of the options as modules under iptables. (The
4 doc also says that if they are compiled as modules, I didn't need to
5 reboot).
6 I did add iptables to /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 (for subsequent
7 rebooting).
8
9 modprobe ip_tables results in:
10 FATAL: Error inserting ip_tables
11 (/lib/modules/2.6.12-gentoo-r9/kernel/net/ipv4/netfilter/ip_tables.ko):
12 Unknown symbol in module, or unknown parameter.
13
14 dmesg produces -
15 ip_tables: disagrees about version of symbol skb_copy_files
16 ip_tables: Unknow symbol skb_copy_bits
17 ip_tables: Unknown symbol nf_register_sockopt
18 ip_tables: ip_tables: Unknown symbol nf_unregister_sockopt
19 ip_tables: Unknown symbol nf_unregister_sockopt
20
21 (I just found another doc that says to ONLY modprobe IF you haven't built
22 this as a module)
23 DOH!
24
25 I went back into the kernel config and removed all but the essential options
26 for iptables... (just iptables module) and rebuilt the kernel
27
28 A reboot (aside from losing my wireless), produced an error on boot loading
29 iptables.
30 no other text in dmesg points to the problem.
31
32 John D
38 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list