From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is gentoo-portage and gentoo-wiki offline?
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 14:06:08
1 >> I generally try to update the docs with recent packages every six
2 >> months or so though I am guilty of letting them sit a bit longer.
3 >> However Gentoo has no official Bind documentation. The official Gentoo
4 >> Virtual Mail how-to offers about half the functionality, explanation,
5 >> and troubleshooting info in my doc. Also the Gentoo virtual mail server
6 >> has remained essentially unchanged in the last six years whereas my doc
7 >> has continued to change and improve. And while we're being honest my
8 >> virtual server build kicks the crap out of the official one in just
9 >> about every way.
10 >
11 > Well that's a very useful contribution and deserves thanks.
12 Let me also give some thanks to this good man.
13 > Therein lies the rub. The OP stated upfront that he is new to Gentoo. The
14 > chances of him being able to find the gems amongst the chaff are reduced.
15 > Better to advise him to stay away until he is in a position to evaluate these
16 > things. If he's in that position right now, then he deserves to know what the
17 > overall quality is.
18 I have had a good experience with gentoo-wiki, and I have seen it
19 praised. This is the first time I've seen a person claiming it is bad
20 quality.
23 > For the record, it's grossly unfair for others to *expect* you to update the
24 > official docs just because you know the subject. "why not update the Gentoo
25 > docs if you're so darn smart" is likely to produce "stuff off!" responses.
26 > Much better for people to ask nicely, say please, and be cool with the answer
27 Certainly; the internet is known for, unfortunately, stimulating
28 personal conflicts.