From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is gentoo-portage and gentoo-wiki offline?
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 09:20:28
1 On Saturday 18 October 2008 23:31:56 kashani wrote:
2 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > On Friday 17 October 2008 23:27:44 RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
4 > >> heehee have been wanting to get onboard with gentoo for a while now how
5 > >> ironic that the wiki site i was so looking forward to using is down the
6 > >> same day my gentoo box is up heehee.
7 > >
8 > > Let's see, how shall I put this? Oh stuff it, might as well be honest.
9 > >
10 > > gentoo-wiki.com is notorious for being up and down more often than you
11 > > change your underwear. It's also been compromised at least twice in the
12 > > last 12 months. The home page was last updated so long ago I'm no longer
13 > > sure if it was still in this millenniume.
14 >
15 > As the fellow who maintains the Bind and Postfix w/PostfixAdmin how-tos
16 > on the wiki I take a small amount of umbrage with the above statements.
17 >
18 > :-) Also my Bind how-to was added to the front page after I updated it
19 >
20 > in July.
21
22 It would be entirely unreasonable of me to say that because I think the
23 overall quality of the wiki is low that therefore every document in it is
24 just as poor. You just proved that :-)
25
26 I maintain the wiki at work which serves the entire company (1000+ employees).
27 My team has our own section, which is well maintained. 50% of the other
28 sections are of appalling quality. So I too know what it's like.
29
30 > I generally try to update the docs with recent packages every six
31 > months or so though I am guilty of letting them sit a bit longer.
32 > However Gentoo has no official Bind documentation. The official Gentoo
33 > Virtual Mail how-to offers about half the functionality, explanation,
34 > and troubleshooting info in my doc. Also the Gentoo virtual mail server
35 > has remained essentially unchanged in the last six years whereas my doc
36 > has continued to change and improve. And while we're being honest my
37 > virtual server build kicks the crap out of the official one in just
38 > about every way.
39
40 Well that's a very useful contribution and deserves thanks. Unfortunately for
41 me, I have no need to read them. I don't need domain or mail servers (never
42 mind virtual mail) at home, and at work we use Postfix for mail, bind for the
43 authoritative domain servers and cns for the caches - all on FreeBSD
44 >
45 > I won't say that all docs on gentoo-wiki are of this quality or better
46 > than the Gentoo docs, but you will be missing out on some genuinely
47 > useful information by dismissing the gentoo-wiki out of hand.
48
49 Therein lies the rub. The OP stated upfront that he is new to Gentoo. The
50 chances of him being able to find the gems amongst the chaff are reduced.
51 Better to advise him to stay away until he is in a position to evaluate these
52 things. If he's in that position right now, then he deserves to know what the
53 overall quality is.
54
55 > In regards to the soon to be asked "why not update the Gentoo docs if
56 > you're so darn smart" question going through a number of heads. In real
57 > life I manage just over 7000 servers as part of a larger group and am
58 > directly responsible for a bit over 1500 of them. I can devote an hour
59 > or two every couple of months to updating my home Gentoo box and fixing
60 > my wiki entries or I can fight with Guide XML for three or four hours
61 > and generally produce nothing useful.
62
63 1500? And here was me thinking I was in good shape looking after a mere 125...
64
65 For the record, it's grossly unfair for others to *expect* you to update the
66 official docs just because you know the subject. "why not update the Gentoo
67 docs if you're so darn smart" is likely to produce "stuff off!" responses.
68 Much better for people to ask nicely, say please, and be cool with the answer
73 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com