From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is gentoo-portage and gentoo-wiki offline?
Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 21:32:01
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Friday 17 October 2008 23:27:44 RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
3 >> heehee have been wanting to get onboard with gentoo for a while now how
4 >> ironic that the wiki site i was so looking forward to using is down the
5 >> same day my gentoo box is up heehee.
6 >
7 > Let's see, how shall I put this? Oh stuff it, might as well be honest.
8 >
9 > gentoo-wiki.com is notorious for being up and down more often than you change
10 > your underwear. It's also been compromised at least twice in the last 12
11 > months. The home page was last updated so long ago I'm no longer sure if it
12 > was still in this millennium.
13
14 As the fellow who maintains the Bind and Postfix w/PostfixAdmin how-tos
15 on the wiki I take a small amount of umbrage with the above statements.
16 :-) Also my Bind how-to was added to the front page after I updated it
17 in July.
18
19 I generally try to update the docs with recent packages every six
20 months or so though I am guilty of letting them sit a bit longer.
21 However Gentoo has no official Bind documentation. The official Gentoo
22 Virtual Mail how-to offers about half the functionality, explanation,
23 and troubleshooting info in my doc. Also the Gentoo virtual mail server
24 has remained essentially unchanged in the last six years whereas my doc
25 has continued to change and improve. And while we're being honest my
26 virtual server build kicks the crap out of the official one in just
27 about every way.
28
29 I won't say that all docs on gentoo-wiki are of this quality or better
30 than the Gentoo docs, but you will be missing out on some genuinely
31 useful information by dismissing the gentoo-wiki out of hand.
32
33 In regards to the soon to be asked "why not update the Gentoo docs if
34 you're so darn smart" question going through a number of heads. In real
35 life I manage just over 7000 servers as part of a larger group and am
36 directly responsible for a bit over 1500 of them. I can devote an hour
37 or two every couple of months to updating my home Gentoo box and fixing
38 my wiki entries or I can fight with Guide XML for three or four hours
39 and generally produce nothing useful.
40
41 kashani
42 http://gentoo-wiki.com/index.php?title=HOWTO_Setup_a_DNS_Server_with_BIND
43 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Setup_a_Virtual_Postfix/Courier_Mail_System_with_PostfixAdmin