From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is gentoo-portage and gentoo-wiki offline?
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2008 21:53:51
1 On Friday 17 October 2008 23:27:44 RYAN vAN GINNEKEN wrote:
2 > heehee have been wanting to get onboard with gentoo for a while now how
3 > ironic that the wiki site i was so looking forward to using is down the
4 > same day my gentoo box is up heehee.
5
6 Let's see, how shall I put this? Oh stuff it, might as well be honest.
7
8 gentoo-wiki.com is notorious for being up and down more often than you change
9 your underwear. It's also been compromised at least twice in the last 12
10 months. The home page was last updated so long ago I'm no longer sure if it
11 was still in this millenium.
12
13 The content on it is even less reliable than the nonsense you will find
14 spouted off on Ubuntu forums (and that's saying something...)
15
16 For someone starting out with Gentoo I would be inclined to persuade you[1] to
17 avoid gentoo-wiki at all costs for a while. The real info, the true stuff, is
18 to be found on the official Gentoo site and right here on this list (of
19 course!)
20
21 Don't let this put you off - Gentoo is great, the wiki is just not so great.
22
23 Cheers
24 alan
25
26 [1] This step is often successfully completed by application of a very big
27 stick :-)
30 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com