From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] sound driver
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 14:31:40
1 Tero Grundström wrote:
2 > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Holly Bostick wrote:
5 >>I do think that this works because some ALSA modules really prefer to be
6 >>modules under udev, but some flatly cannot-- for example, snd-seq-oss
7 >>cannot be a module (despite what the Help says), but snd-seq (on which
8 >>snd-seq-oss depends), can. So some parts of a complete ALSA install
9 >>cannot be put in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6, where udev prefers
10 >>to have them (because statically compiled modues are loaded before udev
11 >>is running, so it can't create devices for them).
12 >>
13 >>So the first run loads the forced static compiles, and the second run
14 >>loads the modules.
17 > FYI,
18 >
19 > I've had alsa compiled 100% static in kernel - worked perfectly.
20 >
21 > I now have:
22 >
23 > - alsa compiled 100% as modules
24 > - nothing in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
25 > - alsasound added only to bootlevel
26 >
27 > Works perfectly.
28 >
29 Yes, of course you have, Tero-- you seem to be one of the fortunate
30 few whose computer always works as advertised, under all conditions.
31
32 You lucky dog, you ;-) .
33
34 Holly