From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Install from USB stick; here's how
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 17:06:08
1 On 2013-01-07, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2
3 > For those of you who don't want to do the tap-dance listed at...
4 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/liveusb.xml
5 >
6 > * My netbook's harddrive is normally /dev/sda, except when I boot from a
7 > USB stick. The stick will become /dev/sda and the harddrive becomes
8 > /dev/sdb
9 >
10 > * My desktop's harddrive is also /dev/sda. I took the linux minimal
11 > install ISO, ran isohybrid on it, with the command...
12 >
13 > isohybrid install-x86-minimal-20121213.iso
14 >
15 > If you don't have isohybrid...
16 >
17 > emerge sys-boot/syslinux
18 >
19 > * I then copied it over to a USB stick (/dev/sdb) with the command...
20 >
21 > dd bs=4M if=install-x86-minimal-20121213.iso of=/dev/sdb
22
23 I did a 64-bit install from USB flash-drive a few days ago using the
24 older tap-dance, and it worked fine -- except I discovered one of my
25 "must have" apps is 32-bit only and didn't work correctly when run in
26 32-bit emulation mode (I don't know why).
27
28 So I tried Walter's recipe yesterday to do a 32-bit install.
29
30 After running the isohybrid command, I compared the resulting image
31 with the original. They were identical. I copied the image to a USB
32 flash drive, and it booted just fine.
33
34 It seems that the minimal install .iso images are already built for
35 hybrid booting from either CD or a generic block device (e.g. USB
36 mass-storage device).
37
38 So what's the deal with http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/LiveUSB/HOWTO?
39
40 Why isn't it just the steps below?
41
42 1) Copy the minimal install .iso to USB mass storage device.
43
44 2) Boot from USB mass storage device.
48 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I am a traffic light,
49 at and Alan Ginzberg kidnapped
50 gmail.com my laundry in 1927!