From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH rekeying straight after authentication
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2017 09:56:29
1 On Monday 27 Feb 2017 16:49:42 Andrew Savchenko wrote:
2 > On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 20:10:05 +0000 Mick wrote:
3 > > I am trying to understand why an ssh server keeps dropping the connection
4 > > when using openssh on Linux straight after a successful authentication,
5 > > but it works fine with Filezilla in MSWindows.
6 >
7 > [...]
8 >
9 > > I am guessing all this respawning probably triggers some DDoS protection
10 > > limit on the server and it disconnects the client. Have you observed
11 > > anything similar and would you know why Linux fails, but MSWindows works
12 > > as it should?
13 > I use HPN for years and connect to hundreds of servers, most of
14 > them are without HPN support. I have no problems so far. But HPN is
15 > unofficial and it may trigger problems. Maybe this is a bug in HPN,
16 > maybe a server's custom protection.
17 >
18 > Try to report this on bugzilla for openssh maintainers.
19 >
20 > Best regards,
21 > Andrew Savchenko
22
23 Thanks Andrew, but I am not sure if it is an openssh bug or the particular
24 server SSH implementation, which I do not control and the BOFH isn't
25 particular helpful.
26
27 It may be an SSH implementation interoperability problem. A Linux Mint PC
28 suddenly fails to connect using the latest OpenSSH version (OpenSSH_7.2p2
29 Ubuntu-4ubuntu2.1, OpenSSL 1.0.2g 1 Mar 2016) because the server does not
30 appear to return a list of authentication methods as it should.
31
32 The Gentoo PCs fail to connect because it seems the client switches from
33 single to multithreaded CTR transaction and the SSH server then becomes over-
34 protective.
35
36 I've posted in OpenSSH M/L about the Linux Mint behaviour, but had no
39 Regards,
40 Mick