From: Rumen Yotov <gentoo@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Weird GNOME problem
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 08:46:38
1 On (31/12/05 01:49), michael@××××××××××××.com wrote:
2 > Earlier tonight I changed the setting in /etc/conf.d/rc for the
3 > RC_DEVICE_TARBALL from "yes" to "no" and rebooted. Now I can't get into
4 > GNOME. For my personal account after I enter my username/password the
5 > screen clears and I see the default background color and my mouse
6 > pointer, then nothing else. I can move the mouse pointer, but there's
7 > nothing the click on and the context menu doesn't come up when I
8 > right-click. When I tried to log in as root from the welcome screen I
9 > see the "GNOME Starting" box with the Gentoo logo, but it never goes on
10 > from that. To get out of both my personal account and the root account
11 > I had to Alt+Cntrl+Backspace. I got a Failsafe Terminal and looked at
12 > the log files for gdm and saw this:
13 >
14 > (EE) GARTInit: Unable to open /dev/agpgart (No such file or directory)
15 >
16 > There are five log files in /var/log/gdm; they all say roughly the same
17 > thing, and their timestamps are consistent with the times I tried to log
18 > in and got stuck. I can't even find out why it's looking for this file
19 > or how to make it stop looking for it. Can anyone help me out here?
20 > --
21 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
22 >
23 Hi,
24 Are you using a Nvidia video card?
25 Reverting RC_DEVICE_TARBALL to "yes" should solve the problem but it's not a solution.
26 udev isn't creating the /dev/agpgart file/link - check if it's there and with what perms.
27 Rumen