From: Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: kolab questions
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 06:41:44
1 Hi Alan,
2
3 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
4
5 > On Wednesday 23 April 2008, James wrote:
6 >> Hello,
9 >> I just found this page:
10 >>
11 >> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/kolab/
12 >>
13 >> Groupware is the general category. My questions are:
14 >>
15 >> Has anyone installed this and if so how do you like it?
16 >
17 > It sucks. It sucks so much I dare not describe how and why for fear of
18 > falling afoul of libel laws.
19
20 Give it a try, please :)
23 > Impi tried to use it. Impi is a South African Ubuntu derivative owned by
24 > Canonical intended to be sold to governments and large corporates.
25 > Kolab is infested with super-secret proprietary stuff that is anything
26 > but free software, all due to the way the German government structured
27 > the Kolab tender process.
28
29 This is incorrect and I don't believe you will be able to clearly
30 identify any "super-secret proprietary stuff" within Kolab. But as
31 said above: Please give it a try.
32
33 > Apparently it only really works with KMail.
34
35 To correct this: While Kontact is the primary client, it works fine
36 with Outlook and Thunderbird, too. In addition have the Horde
37 webmailer. Kolab has a pretty good if not the best Cross-OS client
38 coverage in the area of groupware servers.
41 > If you are really interested in Kolab, I would advise you to do a proof
42 > of concept trial run for real and make up your own mind.
43
44 Thats probably always good :)
45
46 Cheers,