From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: DBUS [was] Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:48:53
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
5 >>>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Stroller
6 >>>>> Reading that blog entry I found discouraging the idea that dbus might be required on my servers in the future, if systemd becomes popular with distros.
7 >>>>
8 >>>> I don't see the problem with D-Bus. It's small (the only hard
9 >>>> dependency it has is an XML parser), and it provides the Linux/UNIX
10 >>>> (de facto) standard interprocess communication system.
11 >>>
12 >>> My chief gripe with D-Bus is that I've had X sessions disappear out
13 >>> from under me as a consequence of the daemon being restarted. Having a
14 >>> single point of failure like that is very, very scary. Otherwise, I
15 >>> like what it tries to do.
16 >>
17 >> Restarting or dying? If it's dying, it's a bug and should be reported.
18 >> I haven't had a crash in dbus in years, and I think pretty much
19 >> everyone agrees it's pretty stable nowadays. It even tries to handle
20 >> gracefully thins like out-of-memory errors and things like that.
21 >
22 > I have no doubt a stellar amount of work has been done to gracefully
23 > handle problem scenarios.
26 >> If it's restarting, why on earth will someone restart the system bus
27 >> with active X sessions? If the dbus daemon is restarted, it has to
28 >> kick all the apps from the bus, including the session manager.
29 >
30 > Because I generally update my desktop system while running X, and on
31 > at least two occasions, an update killed my X session by restarting
32 > DBUS on me
33
34 The update don't restart D-Bus: from the dbus-1.4.14 ebuild:
35
36 elog "To start the D-Bus system-wide messagebus by default"
37 elog "you should add it to the default runlevel :"
38 elog "\`rc-update add dbus default\`"
39 elog
40 elog "Some applications require a session bus in addition to the system"
41 elog "bus. Please see \`man dbus-launch\` for more information."
42 elog
43 ewarn "You must restart D-Bus \`/etc/init.d/dbus restart\` to run"
44 ewarn "the new version of the daemon."
45 ewarn "Don't do this while X is running because it will restart your X as well."
46
47 Emphasising: "Don't do this while X is running because it will restart
48 your X as well." So I will assume something went terribly wrong when
49 updating, and again, if that's the case then it's a bug and should be
50 reported.
51
52 > On the other hand, sshd handles restarts without killing active sessions.
53
54 Because the daemon state for sshd is tiny compared with the one from
55 D-Bus. Apples and oranges.
56
57 > These are solvable problems which DBUS hasn't solved yet for itself.
58 > High-availability is one of the best-researched fields in computer
59 > science, but DBUS doesn't handle that case, yet.
60
61 Because it's not as easy as with systemd (which can also reexecute
62 preserving state) or ssh. The state that D-Bus handles can be really,
63 really big, because is a *generic* IPC. Not like Secure Shell, which
64 only handles one type of session and a very limited set of messages.
65
66 Regards.
67 --
68 Canek Peláez Valdés