From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: DBUS [was] Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 19:11:26
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:57 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Stroller
5 >>>> Reading that blog entry I found discouraging the idea that dbus might be required on my servers in the future, if systemd becomes popular with distros.
6 >>>
7 >>> I don't see the problem with D-Bus. It's small (the only hard
8 >>> dependency it has is an XML parser), and it provides the Linux/UNIX
9 >>> (de facto) standard interprocess communication system.
10 >>
11 >> My chief gripe with D-Bus is that I've had X sessions disappear out
12 >> from under me as a consequence of the daemon being restarted. Having a
13 >> single point of failure like that is very, very scary. Otherwise, I
14 >> like what it tries to do.
15 >
16 > Restarting or dying? If it's dying, it's a bug and should be reported.
17 > I haven't had a crash in dbus in years, and I think pretty much
18 > everyone agrees it's pretty stable nowadays. It even tries to handle
19 > gracefully thins like out-of-memory errors and things like that.
20
21 I have no doubt a stellar amount of work has been done to gracefully
22 handle problem scenarios.
25 > If it's restarting, why on earth will someone restart the system bus
26 > with active X sessions? If the dbus daemon is restarted, it has to
27 > kick all the apps from the bus, including the session manager.
28
29 Because I generally update my desktop system while running X, and on
30 at least two occasions, an update killed my X session by restarting
31 DBUS on me
32
33 On the other hand, sshd handles restarts without killing active sessions.
34
35 These are solvable problems which DBUS hasn't solved yet for itself.
36 High-availability is one of the best-researched fields in computer
37 science, but DBUS doesn't handle that case, yet.
40 :wq