From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: DBUS [was] Re: [gentoo-user] systemd
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 18:59:01
1 On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:49 PM, Canek Peláez Valdés <caneko@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 1:17 PM, Stroller
4 >>> Reading that blog entry I found discouraging the idea that dbus might be required on my servers in the future, if systemd becomes popular with distros.
5 >>
6 >> I don't see the problem with D-Bus. It's small (the only hard
7 >> dependency it has is an XML parser), and it provides the Linux/UNIX
8 >> (de facto) standard interprocess communication system.
9 >
10 > My chief gripe with D-Bus is that I've had X sessions disappear out
11 > from under me as a consequence of the daemon being restarted. Having a
12 > single point of failure like that is very, very scary. Otherwise, I
13 > like what it tries to do.
14
15 Restarting or dying? If it's dying, it's a bug and should be reported.
16 I haven't had a crash in dbus in years, and I think pretty much
17 everyone agrees it's pretty stable nowadays. It even tries to handle
18 gracefully thins like out-of-memory errors and things like that.
19
20 If it's restarting, why on earth will someone restart the system bus
21 with active X sessions? If the dbus daemon is restarted, it has to
22 kick all the apps from the bus, including the session manager.
23
24 Regards.
25 --
26 Canek Peláez Valdés