From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udev + /usr
Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2011 14:51:21
1 On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 2:45 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Friday, September 16, 2011 10:53:47 AM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
3 >> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 5:08 AM, Joost Roeleveld <joost@××××××××.org> wrote:
4 >> > On Thursday, September 15, 2011 05:05:00 PM Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
5 >> >> "Last time I checked, neither GNOME nor Emacs demanded that Gentoo
6 >> >> developers or users had to write a fork/replacement for a core
7 >> >> component of the system. GNOME and Emacs just need ebuilds and
8 >> >> adapting their configuration to Gentoo-isms. Testing and bug
9 >> >> reporting, as usual. The only code needed is some small patches for
10 >> >> both and around 200 lines of emacslisp for site-gentoo.el."
11 >> >
12 >> > Funny that you mention this. There might be something similar brewing
13 >> > for
14 >> > users of Gnome where quite a few low-level parts will end up being
15 >> > mandatory for Gnome:
16 >> >
17 >> > "...but I'm increasingly seeing talk on the
18 >> > gnome side of the "Gnome OS", to include pulse-audio, systemd,
19 >> > policykit,
20 >> > udev/u* (thus forcing lvm as well, at least lvm installation tho nothing
21 >> > forces one to use it... yet, since lvm is required for udisks), etc."
22 >>
23 >> I'm pretty sure the last part is false. I certainly have udisk
24 >> installet (it's pulled by gnome-disk-utility), but I don't use LVM. So
25 >> there.
26 >
27 > I don't use Gnome and haven't looked into all this. Udev also doesn't appear
28 > to have a LVM-useflag. But as I do use LVM, I can't actually check.
29 > Do you have "sys-fs/lvm2" on your system?
30 >
31 > The ebuild does list it as "RDEPEND".
32
33 Yes, I got it installed. I didn't noticed until now. Then again, it
34 takes 1 minute to install in my puny laptop, and uses 7 Mb of hard
35 drive. But anyhow, I was mistaken: it is forced by udisks.
36
37 >> > It's a reply in the gentoo-dev thread I started.
38 >> >
39 >> > Requiring pulse-audio and policykit, I can understand. But requiring a
40 >> > specific init-system for the desktop seems a bit overkill.
41 >>
42 >> I don't think that will happen, although certainly is what Lennart
43 >> (and probably Kay) wants. What I think will happen is that, if
44 >> available, GNOME will use systemd. FreeBSD does not have udev, and
45 >> GNOME works there (with diminished functionality).
46 >>
47 >> That's the future, I believe: you will be able to use GNOME without
48 >> systemd, but it will be like more awesomer with systemd.
49 >
50 > I still think Gnome (or any other desktop environment) should not care about
51 > which init-system is being used.
52
53 And they will not. They will only use some capabilities that a system
54 provides, and use it if available. It's the exact same thing as udev.
55
56 >> > I'm not a gnome user and am happy with my KDE-desktop. But the same post
57 >> > also mentions KDE seems to be headed in a similar direction. Just
58 >> > slower.
59 >> Because it makes sense for the full-fledge desktop. Notice that
60 >> Gustavo Barbieri (who works a lot on e17) is a heavy promoter of
61 >> systemd. Maybe even makes sense for Xfce, but that I don't know.
62 >>
63 >> At the end of the day, systemd manages how to start and stop
64 >> processes. Which is basically the task of gnome-session-manager (and
65 >> whatever is the equivalent in KDE).
66 >
67 > systemd, like any init-system, should start services.
68 > KDE has some "kde-services" like akonadi, nepomuk,... that get controlled by
69 > the kde-system internally. I would NOT want to see these controlled by
70 > systemd.
71
72 It would be a different process from PID 1. systemd call be called
73 with --user: every user will get it's own instance (replacing what now
74 is controlled by gnome-session-manager and [I presume] kde-system),
75 but that instance will be able to use all the plumbing that systemd
76 provides.
77
78 > These are running for the user that is logged in. Having these running for all
79 > users at once leads to the multi-user-kludge that MS Windows tries to have and
80 > for which Citrix was invented ontop of MS Windows....
81
82 As I explained, it will be an instance per user. Nothing like Windows.
83
84 > We already have a decent multi-user environment, why would we want to kill
85 > that? If I wanted a single-user system, I'd be running MS Windows.
86
87 See above, you are wrong on how systemd will handle it.
88
89 >> > Mind you, I do think systemd is nice and usefull on a desktop machine,
90 >> > but I don't see much need for this on a server where the sysadmins
91 >> > generally prefer to have a much more detailed control of what is
92 >> > happening.
93 >>
94 >> I think systemd gives you that in servers. With OpenRC and Apache with
95 >> user CGI scripts, ¿do you know how to list the httpd daemon spawned
96 >> processes, and only those? Remember that a CGI script can double fork.
97 >>
98 >> With systemd is a matter of:
99 >>
100 >> systemctl status apache-httpd.service
101 >
102 > Did you look at the output of pstree?
103 > Try "pstree -pu" and you see all the PIDs and whenever there is a "user-
104 > switch", it also lists the new user.
105
106 Yeah, and I specifically said: "do you know how to list the httpd
107 daemon spawned processes, **and only those**?" (emphasis mine). pstree
108 (or ps) will show the processes with **user** apache, not those
109 spawned by httpd.
110
111 >> And you can kill every process related to a daemon, no matter how many
112 >> forks its children process make. That alone makes systemd more usefull
113 >> for servers thatn SysV+OpenRC, I think.
114 >
115 > Systemd handles this through process-groups. This can be done in different
116 > ways.
117
118 Of course it can. Only systemd does it for you, including setting OOM
119 score, IO scheduling, CPU scheduling, permissions. Everything can be
120 done manually; and it will be possible to do it manually with systemd
121 also.
122
123 But you can manage all of that in a single well documented way using systemd.
124
125 >> > Then again, I don't feel Gnome or KDE have any reason to be installed on
126 >> > a server, but that's just how I see it.
127 >>
128 >> Dear evolution, of course not. Why would you install GNOME or KDE in a
129 >> server? My two servers run with systemd, and not a single GUI library
130 >> is installed in them.
131 >
132 > I consider dbus to be part of the GUI as I don't see a reason for apache,
133 > syslog, nfs, samba,.... to be using dbus to communicate with each other.
134
135 a) dbus is not part of the GUI, b) like it or not, it's the
136 standardized IPC mechanism in Linux. If it's available, let's use it.
137
138 > There are already well-tested and working mechanisms for communication where
139 > needed.
140
141 I would like for you to be more specific about them.
142
143 Regards.
144 --
145 Canek Peláez Valdés