From: Tom Smith <tom71713-gentoo52478932@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there and Alternative to compiling kde?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:28:50
1 Gentoo is a source-based distribution. This means that the software you receive comes in the form of source code. It's up to you to install (which includes compiling) the software with your specific preferences--this is what makes Gentoo what it is.
2
3 If you like, you can add an emerge option that will build a binary file for you after it's done compiling. Doing this will allow you to install from binary on future or additional installs (if you're setting up more than one system).
4
5 Installations can take a bit longer than the traditional binary-based distros. However, what you get is a refined Linux install that include only what you asked to be installed. There's no bloat about it--you control every part of the installation. You can also look at it another way: Going through the process of installing Gentoo will make you much more familiar with Linux than your average distro, if you're not already there. ;-D
6
7 ~ Tom
8
9 Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
10 I'll probably need the asbestos drawers here shortly:
11
12 I've burned up several hours here with a grindingly slow compile of
13 kde. It is an older machine ( a few years) but is a P4 2Ghz and 500MB
14 ram. Is there an alternative to this? I mean aside from using a
15 lighter, faster compiling, X setup.
16
17 I've been away from Fedora now for about a year I guess. I left
18 Fedora and redhat after nearly 10yrs because the updates had gotten to
19 where it was every few mnths a full reinstall. I liked gentoo because
20 one can update cleanly without a full reinstall, but now I'm losing
21 what seems even more time with really slow compilations
22
23 Just on the face of it, it seems somewhat unreasonable with modern
24 software and powerfull computers, to need to spend this amount of time
25 just to get working software running.
26
27 I seem to recall a kde install being a matter that consumed something
28 like 1/2 hr on Fedora. Must be that those packages are already
29 compiled?
30
31 Is that an option for us?
32
33 Is there some burning important reason why we need to throw away hours
34 and hours compiling kde? Wouldn't a binary distribution of kde serve
35 as well in most ways?
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list