From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Is there and Alternative to compiling kde?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:05:29
1 I'll probably need the asbestos drawers here shortly:
2
3 I've burned up several hours here with a grindingly slow compile of
4 kde. It is an older machine ( a few years) but is a P4 2Ghz and 500MB
5 ram. Is there an alternative to this? I mean aside from using a
6 lighter, faster compiling, X setup.
7
8 I've been away from Fedora now for about a year I guess. I left
9 Fedora and redhat after nearly 10yrs because the updates had gotten to
10 where it was every few mnths a full reinstall. I liked gentoo because
11 one can update cleanly without a full reinstall, but now I'm losing
12 what seems even more time with really slow compilations
13
14 Just on the face of it, it seems somewhat unreasonable with modern
15 software and powerfull computers, to need to spend this amount of time
16 just to get working software running.
17
18 I seem to recall a kde install being a matter that consumed something
19 like 1/2 hr on Fedora. Must be that those packages are already
20 compiled?
21
22 Is that an option for us?
23
24 Is there some burning important reason why we need to throw away hours
25 and hours compiling kde? Wouldn't a binary distribution of kde serve
26 as well in most ways?
30 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list