From: Jeff <jmg_071769@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Is there and Alternative to compiling kde?
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 22:15:01
1 On Friday 09 December 2005 16:55, Harry Putnam wrote:
2
3 Check out Kubuntu dude. It's probably right up your alley. This is *not* an
4 anti-Gentoo email. I 100% love Gentoo, and will continue to use it!
5
6 (Puts asbestos suit back in the drawer...)
7
8 > I'll probably need the asbestos drawers here shortly:
9 >
10 > I've burned up several hours here with a grindingly slow compile of
11 > kde. It is an older machine ( a few years) but is a P4 2Ghz and 500MB
12 > ram. Is there an alternative to this? I mean aside from using a
13 > lighter, faster compiling, X setup.
14 >
15 > I've been away from Fedora now for about a year I guess. I left
16 > Fedora and redhat after nearly 10yrs because the updates had gotten to
17 > where it was every few mnths a full reinstall. I liked gentoo because
18 > one can update cleanly without a full reinstall, but now I'm losing
19 > what seems even more time with really slow compilations
20 >
21 > Just on the face of it, it seems somewhat unreasonable with modern
22 > software and powerfull computers, to need to spend this amount of time
23 > just to get working software running.
24 >
25 > I seem to recall a kde install being a matter that consumed something
26 > like 1/2 hr on Fedora. Must be that those packages are already
27 > compiled?
28 >
29 > Is that an option for us?
30 >
31 > Is there some burning important reason why we need to throw away hours
32 > and hours compiling kde? Wouldn't a binary distribution of kde serve
33 > as well in most ways?
36 Han Solo:
37 Oh! I thought they smelled bad on the *outside*!
38 --
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list