From: Wol <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Pipewire not a dependency?
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2022 17:11:25
1 On 01/10/2022 17:56, Michael wrote:
2 > Anyway, I ventured into pipewire because I wanted to see if Skype would work
3 > without pulseaudio and in this system it won't. After I manually installed
4 > pipewire Skype won't access the microphone. 🙁
5
6 I've got some vague feeling that pipewire is designed to happily sit
7 under pulseaudio. The design aim was to replace both Jack and pulseaudio
8 but it basically just presents a sound device to the layers above, so
9 just like you can stack block devices for disk access, you can stack
10 jack, pulseaudio and pipewire for sound.
11
12 The big difference between a sound stack and a block stack is that a
13 block stack is asynchronous and latency is (relatively) unimportant. In
14 a sound stack some applications *demand* synchronicity, and latency is
15 everything. Jack is extremely latency sensitive, pulseaudio buffers and
16 doesn't care, and pipewire is intended to satisfy both.
17
18 So the intent was clearly to install pipewire underneath a working
19 pulseaudio, and just move applications across as and when.
20
21 Cheers,
22 Wol